28 December 2021

Burgh Castle and Roman Fort Norfolk England UK


Photo above: Wall of Roman Fort at Burgh Castle

I got off the bus from Great Yarmouth at Butts Lane and followed the signs to the church and Roman Fort


The church of Burgh Castle is St Peter and St Paul. It is close to the car park and on the path to the Roman Fort. Most of the church dates to the 1200s to 1400s. The parish is currently in the district of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk.




Burgh Castle Roman Fort dates to the 200s and was part of the Roman coastal defense system. Three of the large walls can still be seen. 





I walked around the fort and down by the wildlife preserve.

Panorama of the fort below.



Video view of the Roman Fort- See clip below form SuttonTravels on YouTube.






On my way to the village pub, I stopped by the Old School House on Butt Lane. It is a 4-bedroom freehold semi-detached house.



I was ready to warm up at the Queen's Head, which is the Burgh Castle village pub at Church Road and Back Lane. I returned to Great Yarmouth from the bus stop by the pub.




Returning to Great Yarmouth



Castle note- A Norman Castle was built inside the Roman Fort Walls but is no longer there.



Resources


Norfolk Archaeological Trust

Other notes

There are no facilities at the Roman Fort site.
The path around the area is fairly level but slopes down toward the marsh.
There is a boardwalk along the marsh.

Please check out my website   www.suttong.com

   and see my books on   AMAZON       or  GOOGLE STORE

Also, consider connecting with me on    FACEBOOK   Geoff W. Sutton    

   TWITTER  @Geoff.W.Sutton    


No comments:

Post a Comment