26 May 2021

Voyageurs National Park Minnesota

 More Water Than Land


I drove to Voyageurs National Park up highway 53 from Duluth. There are two visitor's centers enroute to my stay at International Falls, which is west of the Rainy Lake center. I found the park map board helpful.


My first stop was at Ash River


...where I hiked to Beaver Lake among other points of interest. The top photo is of Beaver Lake. Below is a closeup.


There are a lot of birds, squirrels and chipmunks. I didn't get good shots of birds. But I did get this creature crossing my path.



Here's a video showing the lake by the visitors center along with boaters and people fishing. I was also videobombed by mosquitos.





The next stop was Kabetogama Lake. I hardly saw anyone but there were plenty of trucks and boat trailers.




On the second day, I hiked at the Rainy Lake area.


Unfortunately, I was too early in the season for a boat tour of the park. However, with sunshine and 80 degree temperatures it sure felt like summer. And the mosquitos were out in force.

Along a trail at Rainy Lake

Notes
Voyageurs National Park is unique because of the vast areas of water. I wish I was there when boat rides were available. There's also a variety of winter activities. Learn more at the Park Website.

I'm glad I had plenty of insect repellent and sunscreen.

Trekking poles and waterproof shoes or boots are important on trails.

Most pictures were with my Pixel 4 phone but I use a Lumix DMC ZS 100 for zoom shots.

The trail maps and signs were helpful.

I like the National Parks' Book for more information.









Please check out my website suttong.com

And subscribe to my Travel Channel on YouTube SuttonTravels

See more places in Minnesota









No comments:

Post a Comment